Home > Collections
Philosophy and Theology
In addition to these named collections, other collections in the Department include
important holdings (especially those published prior to 1801) for philosophy and theology.
Check MadCat and the card catalog in the Department.
Dutch Collection, also known as the Tank Collection
Some 4,800 volumes and 374 pamphlets on theology,
history, travels, and science from the library of the
Reverend R.J. van der Meulen, minister of the Dutch
Reformed Church, donated by his daughter, Mrs. N.O.
Tank. The bulk
of the collection pertains to Protestant thought,
particularly Calvinism. It includes virtually all the sermons of the
major Calvinist preachers of the 18th-century, many of the 16th and 17th centuries, plus numerous
tracts by less-known writers. Inventory available.
Now cataloged as well on MadCat.
Some 200 lampoons, libels, and broadsides in prose as well as in verse, covering
the second half of the war with Spain (1568-1648), the truce (1609-1621),
and the wars with England and France, with special emphasis on 1672, known as the year of disasters.
The collection details the theological controversy between the
Remonstrant and Contra-Remonstrant believers
in the Dutch Reformed Church (remonstrants wanted to soften the Calvinistic doctrine of
predestination) and includes acts, decrees, and articles of faith from
the 1618-1619 Synod of the Dutch Reformed
Church. Indexed in Koninklijke Bibliotheek (Netherlands) Catalogus van de
pamfletten-verzameling by W.P.C. Knuttel. Shelf-list available in
the Department card catalog (drawer labeled Knuttel).
From the Freedom from Religion Foundation. Many additional titles in the
general stacks. Inventory and article available.
Pacifist and Unitarian Titles
Two boxes of
pamphlets and books collected by a prominent
Unitarian, Robert S. Hoagland.
About one hundred items by French social philosopher Henri
Saint-Simon (1760-1825) and his followers (Rodrigues,
Bazard, and Enfantin), who created a new religion based
on Saint-Simon's principles for improving the welfare
of the poor. The collection includes accounts of the 1832 trials of
Bazard and Enfantin, accused of advocating
women's rights and the abolition of property.
Shelf-list available in the Department card catalog
Miscelas Chwalibog Collection
About 1400 volumes collected by a Polish immigrant ex-priest
who founded his own church in Flintville, Wisconsin. The collection consists mostly of
contemporary editions of the principal European
theologians of the 17th and 18th centuries with particular strengths in church history and
the philosphers of the Enlightenment.
Most of the collection is in Special Collections with the remainder in
the general stacks. On deposit from the Kellogg Public
Library of Green Bay, 1946.
About fifty items concerning all of the major currents of Lutheran theology, from the
Reform movement in the 16th century to the pietism of the 18th century. Theodore
Hoyer, campus leader and graduate student, donated his collection to the University
before leaving for the war in France in 1918. Shelf-list available in the Department card catalog
French Protestant (Calvinist, Huguenot) theological pamphlets
from the 16th-18th centuries. Shelf-list available in the Department card catalog
(Noncurrent: 968953-969166 & BX9457.M6).
More than 400 volumes from the library of Gilbert Motier
Woodward on permanent loan from the LaCrosse
Public Library. The collection contains classics of antiquity in Latin and Greek,
grammars of numerous languages, ancient and medieval
philosophical texts, jurisprudence, magic, travel and
exploration, religious titles from the 16th through the
19th centuries. Most of the collection is in the
general stacks. A shelf-list of the materials located in the the Department is
available in the card-catalog (Noncurrent: 1195448 - 1195467).
General Information |
Using Special Collections |
What's New |
About Rare Books
| UW-Madison Libraries
| University of Wisconsin-Madison
Department of Special Collections main desk: 608/262-3243
For reference questions: email Special Collections
© 1999 by the Board of Regents of the University of Wisconsin System
Special Collections Department, Memorial Library
University of Wisconsin-Madison
728 State Street
Madison, WI 53706-1494
Last updated October 28, 2007